2018 Lunar Kanza – Saturday, July 28th
Lunar Kanza is not a race… it is a fun, leisure night-time bike ride or run, conducted under a full moon on the gravel roads surrounding Emporia, Kansas. The courses will take participants from downtown Emporia, out onto the gravel roads of the Flint Hills region of east-central Kansas. Once home to the great Kanza Nation, the Flint Hills have been called the “eastern-most part of the Great Far West”. Come out and experience these Flint Hills in a brand new way… under the light of the full moon. Afterwards, hang out and enjoy the Lunar Kanza Celebration!
Friday, July 27th, 2018
- 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Participants can check in early at Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial Street). This will alleviate your wait time on Saturday!
Saturday, August 12th, 2017
- 12:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Participant Check in at Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial Street).
- 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Riders can depart anytime between 6-8 PM for their ride. The objective is to gauge your pace and try to return between 10-11 PM when the celebration is in full swing.
- 8:30 PM: All runners depart for the run.
- 8:30 PM: Lunar Kanza Celebration open. Games, food, drinks all available.
- 10:00 PM (Saturday) – 1:00 AM (Sunday) : Live Music begins. Games, food, drinks all available.
- 12:30 AM (Sunday): Last call for alcohol.
- 1:00 AM (Sunday) : Celebration closes.
Lunar Kanza is packed full of value! Runners and Riders will both receive:
- Opportunity to enjoy the Flint Hills at night with a great group of gravel riding/running enthusiasts!
- Post-race celebration party including games and live music.
- Custom event apparel item.
- Post ride/run meal with two complimentary beverage vouchers.
- Glow stick bracelet at check-in.
- Fully stocked aid stations (will contain water, light aid station fare, and GU nutritional products), not too mention some of the best aid station volunteers around!
- Rad Lunar Kanza Button. Button gives you the all important street cred and sweet discounts at participating local merchants! Read below under the Lunar Kanza Celebration tab to see the full list of perks.
There are multiple distances on offer at Lunar Kanza. But, this is a fun run and not a race, so feel free to turn around when your legs are good and ready. If you’d prefer to run a set distance and turn around at an aid station, those options are as follows:
- 3.5 Miles – Turn around at first aid station
- 9.2 miles – Turn around at 2nd aid station (gives you three total aid stops in 9.2 miles).
- 13.2 miles – Do the Airport Loop and complete the full route! This will give you 4 total aid station stops as you will see both aid stations twice.
The course will be marked and navigation should not be troublesome. But, if you like to be prepared you can check out the route map via Strava here.
Lunar Kanza Ride is meant to be a celebration of the Flint Hills, beating the summer heat, and doing so with a few hundred of your closest gravel riding buddies! Lunar Kanza riders are free to go out and back on course as far as they feel comfortable. With that said, there are two aid stations on course that we think make good turnaround options.
- Mile 14 – Your first aid station is the “Butt’r makes it better” Chamois Butt’r aid station. You can turn around here and make your total trip 28 miles.
- Mile 25 – You won’t be sorry if you journey all the way to the “Adventure by Bike” Salsa Cycles Aid Station. The few miles in and out of this aid station are in Open Range country. Stunning to say the least. This makes your ride 50 miles of course and you’ll see the volunteers at the Chamois Butt’r tent one more time on the way back.
The course will be marked and navigation should not be troublesome. But, if you like to be prepared you can check out the route map via Ride with GPS here.
Lunar Kanza is a celebration of many things, the night sky, the Flint Hills, open range, riding bikes and running on gravel, and community. Bringing community together is the aim of the Celebration party. There will be food trucks, sno cones, beer (compliments of Mulready’s Pub), live music, and games. Each registered runner and rider will receive a button with registration. This button gets you access to the celebration party as well as to discounts at local downtown Emporia merchants. But, this celebration isn’t just for those that run or ride. Friends, family, and community members can purchase a button in advance of the event for $5 or at the gate on the day of the event. Children 17 and under can enter the celebration for free, but in order to receive the exclusive deals, a button must be purchased. Buttons must be worn or presented at the local businesses in order to receive discounts. We encourage you to bring a lawn chair in order to enjoy the live music. The celebration begins at 8:30 PM and lasts until 1:00 AM, Sunday the 29th. Live Music begins at 10:00 PM Saturday the 28th. The celebration party will be located in the parking lot behind Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co 716 Commercial.
- Details on participating button deals coming soon!