2018 Lunar Kanza – Saturday, July 28th
Registration Opens – Saturday, March 24th
Lunar Kanza is not a race… it is a fun, leisure night-time bike ride or run, conducted under a full moon on the gravel roads surrounding Emporia, Kansas. The courses will take participants from downtown Emporia, out onto the gravel roads of the Flint Hills region of east-central Kansas. Once home to the great Kanza Nation, the Flint Hills have been called the “eastern-most part of the Great Far West”. Come out and experience these Flint Hills in a brand new way… under the light of the full moon. Afterwards, hang out and enjoy the Lunar Kanza Celebration!
Monday July 23rd – Friday, July 27th, 2018
- 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM: Participants can check in early at Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial Street). This will alleviate your wait time on Saturday!
Saturday, July 28th, 2018
- 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM: Participant Check in at Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial Street).
- 6:00 PM: Ride Depart. The Emporia Police Department and Lyon County Sherrif’s Department will work to get us all out of town safely at 6:00 PM.
- 8:30 PM: All runners depart for the run.
- 8:30 PM: Lunar Kanza Celebration open. Games, food, drinks all available.
- 12:30 AM (Sunday): Last call for alcohol.
- 1:00 AM (Sunday) : Celebration closes.
Lunar Kanza is packed full of value! Runners and Riders will both receive:
- Opportunity to enjoy the Flint Hills at night with a great group of gravel riding/running enthusiasts!
- Post-race celebration party including games and music.
- Custom event apparel item.
- Post ride/run meal with two complimentary beverage vouchers.
- Glow stick bracelet at check-in.
- Fully stocked aid stations (will contain water, light aid station fare, and GU nutritional products), not to mention some of the best aid station volunteers around!
- Rad Lunar Kanza Button. Button gives you the all-important street cred and sweet discounts at participating local merchants! Read below under the Lunar Kanza Celebration tab to see the full list of perks.
There are multiple distances on offer at Lunar Kanza. But, this is a fun run and not a race, so feel free to turn around when your legs are good and ready. If you’d prefer to run a set distance and turn around at an aid station, those options are as follows:
- 3.5 Miles – Turn around at first aid station
- 9.2 miles – Turn around at 2nd aid station (gives you three total aid stops in 9.2 miles).
- 13.2 miles – Do the Airport Loop and complete the full route! This will give you 4 total aid station stops as you will see both aid stations twice.
The course will be marked and navigation should not be troublesome. But, if you like to be prepared you can check out the route map via Strava here.
Click here for printable PDF map.
We are excited to announce a new route for this year’s event. We will be heading through Americus and around Kahola Lake. As always, folks can shorten the route as needed and Americus provides a great turn location just 12 miles in.
Not only is there a new route for the cyclists this year, but we have thrown in a little extra spice for those that want a chance to stretch their legs a bit. There will be two Strava segments in both the ride and run. We will be offering a special prize to the top three riders/runners, male and female, with the fastest times on EACH of these segments. In other words, we will not be combining times from the two efforts. They will be scored as two separate challenges.
Rides must be loaded to Strava by 9:00 AM on Sunday to be considered. Winners will be notified by email and an announcement on Facebook. Prizing can be picked up at Gravel City Adventure and Supply on Monday.
Lunar Kanza is a celebration of many things, the night sky, the Flint Hills, open range, riding bikes and running on gravel, and community. Bringing the community together is the aim of the Celebration party. There will be food trucks, beer (compliments of Mulready’s Pub), music, and games. Each registered runner and rider will receive a button with registration. This button gets you access to the celebration party as well as to discounts at local downtown Emporia merchants. But, this celebration isn’t just for those that run or ride. Friends, family, and community members can purchase a button in advance of the event for $5 or at the gate on the day of the event. Children 17 and under can enter the celebration for free, but in order to receive the exclusive deals, a button must be purchased. Buttons must be worn or presented at the local businesses in order to receive discounts. We encourage you to bring a lawn chair in order to enjoy the festivities. The celebration begins at 8:30 PM and lasts until 1:00 AM, Sunday the 29th. The celebration party will be located in the parking lot behind Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial).