2018 Training Camp: Thursday, April 5th – Sunday April 8th
Dirty Kanza Promotions hosts a world premier training camp in Emporia, KS tailored for gravel enthusiasts each Spring. This 4 day training camp focuses on preparing participant’s mind, body, and machine for the rigors of the Dirty Kanza and other epic gravel endeavors. Camp athletes will learn through educational seminars, test their equipment on the gravel roads of the Flint Hills, and train their bodies with abundant riding. In addition, camp athletes will enjoy great locally sourced food, masterfully prepared by The Cyclist’s Menu. Athletes will also receive bountiful SWAG from Dirty Kanza sponsors.
Camp includes entry into either the DK200 or DK100 event distances! There is no better way to earn a coveted Dirty Kanza finish, or potentially Race the Sun, than our Dirty Kanza Training Camp.
Dirty Kanza requires a lot to conquer. We’ve got a lot in store to keep you stylin’ and survivin’ at DK!
- Entry into either the Dirty Kanza 200 or Dirty Kanza 100 mile event.
- 3 days of guided rides on sections of the DK course, led by some of the most amazingly talented and friendly gravel grinders around (more on our guides below)!
- Professional mechanic support both on and off the bike.
- 3 “Hot Topic” talks covering important DK survival info.
- Lauf Fork demo opportunities.
- 3 meals provided by The Cyclist’s Menu.
- 2 lunches.
- 2018 DK Cycling kit (bibs and jersey, $200+ value).
- Custom 2018 DK Camp Primal Long Sleeve Henley.
- Copy of “Gravel Cycling,” by Nick Legan (who will be present to sign your book and impart gravel wisdom).
- Great SWAG from top Dirty Kanza sponsors.
- Printed camp itinerary book.
- Local discounts at participating merchants.
The Table: Where stories are told, new friends made, and community established.
Anyone can travel and ride their bike in the world’s most incredible places. It’s not every day to do so with an outfit whose focus is on how the simple act of sitting down to a meal together, will improve your life’s overall well-being. “The table” is where we gather each night. It’s where the day’s stories unfold, tomorrow’s unknowns are unveiled and the story of each meal is told. “The table” is where we invite our guests into our family. It’s the legacy of our experience.
Learn more about The Cyclist’s Menu by clicking here.
*Details coming soon
- $1,875 (includes entry into either the DK200 or DK100)
We are very proud of the crew we have assembled to help guide you in your Dirty Kanza Training Camp experience. You will have direct access to former Dirty Kanza champions, professionals, sponsor reps, and weekend warriors who know how to get it done. These men and women have all proven themselves against Dirty Kanza time and again. Our coach to athlete ratio is 1:3! That guarantees you will have ample time to ride next to and pick the brains of these extraordinary athletes all weekend long. Our mechanics are hand picked and are from the gravel-proven Midwest. These gentlemen know gravel-specific equipment and are ready to keep you grinding down the road! (Click links to learn more about our guides.)
- Training Camp will take in many of the same roads used for Dirty Kanza. You will have a great opportunity to test your mind, body, and machine on the rugged and remote Flint Hills gravel roads.
- Expect distances of ~50 miles on Friday and Sunday and ~100 miles on Saturday. ~200 miles total for the weekend!
- Complete route information will be released to camp attendees.
This checklist comes directly from the Dirty Kanza Rider’s Bible. Click here to view the Rider’s Bible in its entirety.
EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST Each participant must carry with them (on their body, or on their bike) every item on this list:
1. Cycling computer or GPS device. (To track your mileage.)
2. Red tail light.
3. Front light.
4. Minimum of two liters of water or sports drink.
5. Two spare inner tubes.
6. Air pump or inflation system.
7. A cell phone to contact the “outside world” should you need help.
ADDITIONAL Supplies You Should SERIOUSLY Consider:
1. A GPS system to communicate your exact location to support or rescue personnel in the event of an emergency.
2. Small rucksack / hydration pack
3. Waterproof / windproof jacket
4. Extra thermal top or warm layer
5. An emergency / survival blanket
6. Food – energy bars, gels, chocolate, etc.
7. Tire levers
8. Puncture repair kit
9. Chain tool
10. Allen wrench set
11. Spoke wrench
12. First aid kit
13. Chamois Butt’r
14. Chain lube
15. Cash, debit card or credit card. (To purchase food, water, supplies.)
16. Handlebar map case
- Camp Athletes are responsible for their own transportation to and from Emporia, KS, as well as to the ride start each day.
- Closest airports to Emporia, KS
- MCI – Kansas City, MO
- ICT – Wichita, KS
- Lodging – There are may hotels in Emporia to choose from. For a complete listing, click here.
Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co. is the official adventure retailer of Dirty Kanza.
The deposit of $375 for camp is non-refundable. Final payment will be collected 30 days prior to the first day of camp. The balance is non-refundable within 30 days of camp. Camp must be paid in full in order to receive entry into the event.